Sunday, April 3, 2011

Hello World

The first program you are taught in virtually all programming languages is how to print "Hello World" in standard console. I am not going to deviate from this principle, my first article will be named after this infamous programming principle. So you get the idea. This is a blog about IT, Computer Science and Software Engineering.

Me?I am just a guy trying to write quality code. Code that gets the job done. I am lucky enough to have to deal with all sorts of programming languages almost on a daily basis. Today is C (segmentation fault, go figure). Tommorow is Java (another null pointer exception, what is wrong here?).Some other time is PL/SQL, perl, bash, little xsl, just a touch of javascript. You get the idea. 

Most of the times, after I finished typing a program, no matter how large or small, it just does not work as indented. It needs more testing. But then something gets into the way of my testing. I test one thing, and I realize I just broke the code of another module. Frustration comes quickly, followed by fear and anxiety. I am not going to deliver the module on time. What will my manager think? Or my module has malfunctioned doing nasty things. What will my customer think? What will my customer say to my manager? It is a vicious circle that all programmers have to live with.

So how can we make our lives just a bit better? By controlling our fear over IT. Acknowledging the fact that when we deal with IT, matters will most definitely go wrong at some point. But there is no reason to panic over it! No reason to be afraid that the end of the world is near, just because your program has malfunctioned to the point of -you think- no return. Most of the times, the answer to your problem is right there, staring you in the face.

This blog will serve as my personal diary of fear over IT. I want to document all the times I panicked for not been able to find the solution over an IT problem. In the years to come, I want to read these stories and laugh over my frustrations and failures. I am sure that this will make me not just a better programmer, but a better individual.

Feel free to read, laugh, empathize, comment and share your stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment